Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Potty Training

Last night while at Target I bought a pack of peanut M&M's to keep in our cupboard as a treat for Jack for going potty. While he has never had peanut M&M's he wanted one right away but Mike explained to him that he would only get one when he goes pee in the potty. Well by the time we got home, after stopping at Olive Garden for dinner, Jack had forgotten about the M&M's. So this morning after getting out of the bath and sitting on the couch wrapped up in his towel I asked Jack if he needed to go pee. Then he got super excited because he remembered the M&M's. So he went pee on his little potty then I told him to go put on some underwear thinking that maybe I could get him to wear underwear for a little bit but I found him in his closert trying to reach his diapers. I asked him if he wanted to wear underwear and he said no and then I asked him if he wanted to wear a diaper and he said yes. Then of course he wanted his M&M!

I am really just trying to follow Jack's cues and don't want to force him to wear underwear or drag him to the toilet crying. I would rather change diapers then scrub pee out of my carpet all day. Last thursday he wore underwear for a good 4 hrs. without any accident. He even sat through dinner just fine. I would really like to have Jack potty trained by the time I have the baby but that is less than four months away!! I would like to do this not so much because I hate changing diapers because I don't but it's more because diapers are expensive and 2 in diapers in twice the $$.

I seriously, seriously wish there was somebody I could just pay to do this. lol And you would think that with the promise of an M&M everytime he goes pee would be a good incentive but apparently Jack doesn't care that much?

2 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

I totally feel you Mary Jo!! I was trying to potty train Ellie for a while and then I just gave up because it felt like she wasn't getting it but like the next day she started telling me when she needed to go potty. I still put her in diapers when we go out on long errands though...I'm still too chicken just yet!

Leah said...

Show jack this video, I have heard that it really does help kids want to go potty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-KrrIbAEs and even if it doesn't work you will get a big laugh at it.... hahahah